Crow Wing SWCD Annual Photo Contest-2019
CW SWCD Celebrates Their 7th Annual Photo Contest!
BRAINERD, MN –June 5, 2019– Join photographers of all ages and abilities to find pollinators on native plants in the Brainerd Lakes Area. 2019 Crow Wing SWCD Photo Contest focus on pollinators and native plants. Try to find Minnesota’s new state bee: The Rusty Patched bumblebee and endangered species that you might be able to see in your own backyard.
According to MPR News “Gov. Tim Walz made the state bee designation official, when he signed state budget bills into law this week after a contentious legislative session. The designation comes along with a pledge to protect the bee, which in Minnesota is found primarily in and around the Twin Cities. Scientists say regular Minnesotans can help the population recover.
According to Beth Hippert, District Technician “This is a great opportunity for people to discover, explore, and learn about native plants that grow around the Brainerd Lakes Area and photograph the progression of plants and trees from spring to fall.”
Melissa Barrick, District Manager “All the entries will be featured on our Facebook, website and potentially other educational or promotional items for the SWCD. The first-place winner will receive a 20” x 16” canvas of their photo, as well as their winning photo being in a drawing at our SWCD booth at the 2019 Crow Wing County Fair! The second-place winner will receive an 11” x 17” canvas of their photo and the third-place winner will receive 8” x 10” canvas of their photo.” The Crow Wing SWCD is currently featuring past photo contest images in their 2017 Crow Wing County Plat Books and will also be in our upcoming 2019 plat book, coming in August 2019.
|EXAMPLES of Native Plants, Grasses, Shrubs and Trees:|
|Fireweed Flower||Highbush Cranberry Shrub|
|Butterfly Weed Flower||Wild Plum Tree|
|Little Bluestem Grass||Juneberry/Serviceberry Shrub|
|Prairie Smoke Grass||Nannyberry Shrub|
|Gray or Showy Goldenrod||Basswood Tree|
|Sensitive Fern||Lead Plant|
|Wild Geranium||Purple Prairie Clover Flower|
|Wild Bergamot Flower||False Indigo Flower|
|Prairie Blazing Star Flower||Smooth Blue Aster Flower|
- Feature a plant species that is native to Crow Wing or surrounding counties.
- Original work that is property of the person who submits the photo.
- Labels on each entry with your name, phone #, name of the plant/tree, and what city/town photo was taken.
- One entry per species, limit of five entries per person.
- Submit photo by email in digital format, must be a minimum resolution of 300 dpi and in .jpg format.
- Trademarks, commercial names, or advertisements may not appear in the photos.
- Extra points given for pollinators on a native plant.
- Entry will imply consent to use photos for SWCD educational and promotional activities.
- Credit will be placed on each photo for all photographers.
How to Participate:
- E-mail your photos to email@example.com,
- Mail/bring digital photos to: Land Services Building; Crow Wing SWCD, 322 Laurel St. Suite 22. Brainerd, MN 56401.
- Questions? Call CW SWCD at 218-828-6197.
- Deadline: Thursday, October 31, 2019.
Winners will receive a canvas of their picture
|1st Place||16 x 20 Canvas with photographer name|
|2nd Place||11 x 17 Canvas with photographer name|
|3rd Place||8 x 10 Canvas with photographer name|
Crow Wing SWCD Annual Photo Contest-2018
1st Place Winner
By John Bonde
2nd Place Winner
By Deanie Nelson
3rd Place Winner
Crow Wing SWCD Annual Photo Contest-2017
Crow Wing SWCD Annual Photo Contest-2016
2016 Photo Entries: