Mississippi River Water Protection
To assist in the installation of best forest management practices to establish or improve long term forestry practices to improve or protect water quality or control soil erosion. Also, to provide technical advice and long range woodland management planning to interested landowners. All aspects of the program are voluntary. Plans are designed to meet landowner goals while maintaining the sustainability of the land.
- Provide forest stewardship management planning assistance for clean water protection.
- SWCD will cover cost of plan ($200 + $6.50 acre)
- Landowner pays to register with DNR ($200)
- Financial assistance for forestry projects (50% of cost)
Sample Eligible Projects
|Tree/shrub planting||Stream bank and shoreline improvements|
|Invasive species control||Filter strip|
|Improvement to your woods||Stream habitat improvement|
|Erosion control||Conservation cover|
|Wildlife habitat||Forest trails and landings|
Who May Apply: Private landowners including corporations whose stocks are not publicly traded
Why Apply: Upon registration of your stewardship plan, you will be eligible for:
- Professional forest management assistance from a forester who can, through a forest stewardship plan and recommended forest management activities, help you meet your forest management goals.
- For the state's cost share program to help defer the costs of implementation of forest management activities,
- To receive periodic forest management information mailings from the MN DNR.
Crow Wing Soil and Water Conservation District